These are the current (as of November 2021) WeShine prototype pod and village designs – designed by architect Francis McBride.
These designs are evolving as we grow – and will be customized for each microvillage. They are designed to meet a number of criteria:
- welcoming: comfortable, insulated and handsome
- empowering: private, dignified, customizable
- safe: secure, lockable, raised to avoid water and pests
- affordable. These huts have a price tag of about $2,500 each (depending on price of materials)
- easy to assemble and dissemble
- provide 1-2 beds, a porch, natural light
- Small: 10-12 people
- Compact: small footprint, flexible shape
- Includes 10 sleeping huts, potties, community building with kitchen and heat
- Village services to be arranged: garbage disposal, laundry service
Early on WeShine worked with Sermin Yesilads of SOSYAL Architects and Cascadia Clusters to develop some parking lot village models. This is one example.